This is a variation on the classic recipe.
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 large onion, cut into quarters
- 3 lbs corned beef brisket (with spices)
- 8 small white or yellow potatoes, scrubbed and cut into quarters
- 1 head cabbage, cored and cut into 10 wedges
- 4 -5 carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
- Combine the water, vinegar, sugar, pepper and onions, in a crockpot and mix well.
- Place corned beef and contents of spice packet in the mixture.
- Scatter the potatoes, cabbage and carrots over the top and along the sides.
- Cover and cook on high heat setting 4 hours or until beef is tender.
- To serve, carve the beef into slices against the grain and serve with the cabbage and potatoes, with some of the cooking liquid spooned on top of the beef to keep it moist.