Tasty stew made with hominy. The original recipe is said to be from the 1920s, which would explain the use of canned items. Spicy & hearty! Serve with warm tortillas.
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 2 large onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 6 potatoes, diced
- 1 pound carrots, diced
- 3 cups white hominy
- 3 (8 ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes with liquid, chopped
- 2 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chiles, with juice
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large pot over medium heat, cook ground beef until evenly brown.
- Stir in onions, and sauté until soft and translucent.
- Season with chili powder, and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add potatoes, carrots, hominy, tomatoes and chilies.
- Pour in beef broth.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat, and simmer 2 hours, or until potatoes and carrots are tender.